During my little hiatus I became the proud recipient of the sunshine award and it’s as awesome as it sounds! Recognized by my homies Mary Beth and Jacki…I got to sit down this afternoon with all sorts of juicy and wonderful questions to answer. And then I get to return the favor…passing the sunshine forward.
Here’s what’s up!
A Sunshine Award is for bloggers, by bloggers, and is “a way to recognize people who have charmed, supported, enlightened, and inspired the awarder in recent months.” When one receives said award, the recipient must then answer some questions, tag the next recipients of their choosing, and ask them a handful of questions to answer as well.
Here we go ya’ll!
I first met this beauty when Jacki hooked us up and said ‘you two. meet’ and that was that. As she pursued her life coaching certification, I became one of the peeps she coached and we went on a fanstastic journey together over the course of 3-months where she asked me questions I had never been asked before, which resulted in this past year being filled with more growth, challenge, and triumph than I ever knew was possible. She is wise, compassionate, and kind. And I think you should call her to set up a sesh.
The first time we ever met in person in LA, she ice-skated across the rink, arms a-flailing, shouting my name. You dont ever forget that kind of welcome…and you know when it happens, you’re gonna be friends for life.
Heres what she asked:
1. What lights you up?
The feeling of moving forward. 1:1 conversations with strangers. Writing. Photo. Travel. My friends who know how to make me laugh till I snort. Bon-Fires. Beaches. Mason jars and flannels. Yoga. A run in a new city. A perfect cup of coffee. Passion. Momentum. My niece and nephew.
2. What can you not live without?
My dog Moose. My passport. Gas Money. Movement. And delicious food (specifically, tator tots and sushi).
3. What are you listening to?
James Vincent McMorrow, Ben Solee, Allman Brown, and Matt Corby….all on repeat. Singer/songwriter gets me every time.
4. What’s your morning routine?
I wake up at 5 most days. Make coffee, make moose a meatball (yes really), we go for a walk around the block, jump in the shower (bar-soap is a must and I always wash my belly first) head off to teach yoga then head to work.
5. Who do you look up to?
Nothing makes me want to run across the room and high-five more than a woman entrepreneur (sorry dudes).
A powerful, graceful woman/momma/sister/wife/partner/teacher/go-getter/straight-shooter/vulnerable/hilarious/humble woman. I’m grateful to have a handful of these women in my life, and they push me hard to create. I’m also 4 foot 11, so I tend to look up at mostly everyone ages 12 and up.
Also, I would risk getting arrested to crash dinner at Tina Fey or Amy Poehlers house.
6. What is sacred to you?
Sunday mornings. I prefer to never make a plan here. For a long time I either worked or taught on Sunday mornings, and now I do neither. I splurge and get the NY times home delivery. It’s a day with no alarm, no agenda, no right or wrong.
7. Where is your dream place to travel to?
I want my next set of tan lines to be from Bali. I want to stay in a beachy bungalow with my sexy man, his and her surf boards, and small fridge full of cold beer and fresh fruit. A shower every morning with a cannonball into the sea with a bar of soap.
I want to have dinner each night with the locals under soft white lights, guitar, and fascinating conversation. I want to let my hair down, curls gone wild, and sleep with every single window open, every single night.
8. What’s your biggest, juiciest holy shit goal?
Oh geez. Okay, well do you promise to tell EVERYONE?!?
In 5 years when asked what do I do, I say (REAL LOUD) that I am a wildly succesful writer, photographer, business owner, and most importantly a loving momma and a head-over-heels-in-love partner. I say this as I step out of my old 1983 porsche stick-shift 911 in flip flops eating a freaking mango. (ps this model, but light grey with tan bucket seats).
Second Set from my girl Jacki Carr. Coming in hot!
And before we move on. Let me just say that if what you need is a nudge or like a giant running start push (and I mean that in the most loving way), reach out to Jacki Would you? You’ll get clear. You’ll get real. You’ll get going : ) I have never met anyone even remotely like her, if she asked me to go anywhere from the gas station to the moon, I wouldnt hesistate, I’d be out the door. God I love this woman.
Here’s what she asked…
1) How do you celebrate yourself and rock that self love?
I have a lot of confidence, and believe in celebrating one self on the daily (and being vocal about it) but a true celebration for me is booking a spontaneous trip and not feeling guilty when the credit card statement arrives.
2) Share a 1 year goal that makes your heart beat faster.
I have sunday morning coffee with the hunk of my dreams in a city we both love where we live together.
3) If you were to describe your personality in an animal, what would you be and why?
I am 100% a dog. No really. Just like Moose. I just want to play. Eat. Meet other people. Jump on you when I love you. Nap. Explore. Repeat.
3) What makes you come ALIVE?
People doing what they were put on the planet to do gives me the freaking chills. Watching and supporting people stumble, run, fall, fly, thrive, breakdown and breakthrough is an honor. Being among risk-takers and game-changers makes me come alive.
5) What is your power outfit? (i.e. You wear this top to bottom and you are unstoppable)
So when Paul and I broke up, I bought these amazing boots, they’re my breakup boots and I feel like I can kick major ass in them. So those for sure. And then working up from there, my worn and well loved faded red jeans (that I bought to celebrate a promotion), an old-grey v-neck T that I’ve had almost 8 years I bought in Rhode Island, big gold watch, 2 dollar earrings from Kenya, and a messy bun to complete the look.
6) What is your favorite book you have read in your life thus far?
Fire Starter Sessions by Danielle LaPorte. Stop reading this blog and start reading that. Right now.
7) What is your mantra/declaration/intention today?
Rest. And eat cake. (tomorrow it will be different : ) but this one works today.
8) Alright, tell it to us, what is your guilty-est pleasure?
I like to eat ice cream while watching the biggest loser.
I smell my dogs feet and love it.
After a super sweat yoga class I like to get a burrito and eat it in my bed.
(ps after writing that my thought is ‘oh no, I’m going to be single forever…. : )
Okay! Now it’s time to share the shine! HOW COOL! I love this idea. These are 3 of my very favorite bloggers and I’ll tell ya why:
1) Nina. Whenever her newest blog hits my inbox, I clap. Seriously. First of all, Nina, I dont know how you do it, but you have this way about you where my reaction to whatever you write is either 1) I cant stop laughing 2) I cant stop dreaming 3) I cant stop thinking, wow, that was so beautifully said. Keep writing. And the rest of you…start reading. This is good shit.
2. Beth. Tasty Yummies. I first met Beth in a yoga class in Buffalo NY where we were both living at the time. And now, we both live in california! woohoo! Beth just might be the coolest person I have ever met….but also the kindest, most thoughtful. AND to boot she’s doing absolutley amazing things with food and art. I wont spoil the surprise…but please follow along here. Beth, I love you girl!
3. Katie. So as you can see, I have a thing for people who make me laugh till I snort. Just typing Katies name…I am doing both (really, it’s very attractive) Katie is my work-wife at lululemon, and sometimes she drives me nuts because she is great at the details, and I hate the details. she consistently has to send me emails to remind me of the things I am not doing (ie it’s important to seal the bank bags with thousands of dollars, fill out the budget, put my initials on a checklist) and also, as a former lawyer, we like to argue with eachother. But I gotta say, I gotta nothing but love for this girl, and I love what she has to say. She gets it. Check it here. (ps Katie you totally stopped your project short, get back on the horse, would ya?!?!)
Guys, here are your questions!!! Go for it!
1) What do you want to be known for.
2) What inspires you most about others.
3) Share with us something you are so proud of.
4) Give us a snapshot of your life in 5 years.
5) Whats the best advice you have ever been given, and by whom.
6) Whats the best/worst purchase you have ever made.
7) What word makes you cringe (sorry to make you type it).
8) What is your signature dance move?